[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Kaber Games Community • View topic - Kod Mezu Culture

Kod Mezu Culture

Suggestions for different inhabitants of Phlyndir

Kod Mezu Culture

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Caste System based on Circle laws:

The Circle: This is obviously the highest of the high, the Circle practically dictates everything from who gets shifted to this caste to the registration of every newborn baby whether he or she be legitimate or a bastard. Obviously, since the Circle is the law, only those children under each Circle member can replace their predecessors, unless otherwise specified by said member. However the replacement line has to be part of the Aristocracy, and only under the circumstance that the apointee cannot sire a son.

Aristocracy: The Aristocracy is divided into four houses each based on a certain mother element. Each of these houses have different sets of tradition, emblems, clothing, even architecture. Since the Circle is also comprised of at least one representative of each house, the basic Kod Mezu culture has become an integration of the different ways of life of the Aristocracy.

Aquiler- Water: Probably the most political and influential house, the Noble House of Aquiler bases their power on the element of water. They prefer to carry around long staves and are better equipped for very long range. They also specialize in persuasion and social skills, and is the premiere house for the study of conjuration. Most of their culture revolves around their belief that conflict is best when the enemy cannot touch you. They also pride themselves among other houses, believing to be the purest of blood. That being said, majority of the Circle members are of this house, and it will be a long time before anyone would dare question their authority.

Solaris- Fire: The Unstoppable House of Solaris relies on the power of fire to fuel their drive for power. Unlike the Aquiler who use their staves as a symbol of their authority, members of house Solaris prefer the use of wands equipped for medium to short range. Since as far as anyone can remember, both house Aquiler and house Solaris have been at each other's necks, having elements that oppose one another. While Aquiler prides itself on its nobility, the members of house Solaris are known for their ingenuity and passion. They specialize in weaving unique spells and combining them to make powerful combinations and techniques.

Ventra- Air: Like their mother element, The Ever-Shifting House of Ventra is almost unnoticed among the ranks of the Aristocracy. Believing themselves to be the fastest, these Kodans are skilled in unarmed spellcasting, claiming that wands and staves only slow them down. They never travel in groups, and if they do, the most of them you'll see together are only in groups of two, no more than three. Strangest of all the houses, they even have their own sign language, known only to the respective members of the house. They prefer teleporting short distances to weave around the battlefield, causing enemies to often miss or hit each other in the process. Members of House Ventra usually don't engage in politics, but rather rumored to be most in contact with the lower castes, and the underground. If ever there was a Mafia for the Kod Mezu, this would be it.

Tyrrhane- Earth: Believed to be the lowest of the Aristocracy, The Immovable House of Tyrrhane are composed of monks and priests. They run the religious aspects of the people, owning all the Churches throughout Kod Mezu territory. They carry around, believe it or not, beads and bags of incense to cast their spells, often causing roots to tangle their foes or creating holes to trap their enemy. While most of the other houses focus on offensive magic, Tyrrhane acolytes prefer strengthening their minds to accomplish what no other house can do: Group Synchronization. While in groups, their spells deal more damage or defend better and in a bigger area of effect. While they have quite the array of destructive magic, their true specialty lies in protection. Few can ever really harm an acolyte, and they have the deepest mana pools of all the other houses.

Scholar: Better known among the Kod Mezu as the Universalists, the Scholar caste is comprised of different members of the Aristocracy who have dedicated their time for research and study. The Universalists have built their own College, where most of the Aristocracy's children now enroll in. Being teachers and scientists, the Scholars have waned in magical prowess, but that does not necessarily mean they are useless in a fight. If and when need arises, they can rely on spellbooks to combine different elements of the four houses, at the cost of a lower mana pool. Since they rely on books now, they cast their spells longer at the trade-off for better power and potency when casting from their deep knowledge of combined elements.

Shadow: Also called the Black caste, these dregs of society are composed of bastard sons and daughters and the Houseless, seeking instead the pleasures of guilty living. They reside on the outskirts of the city, and have since honed their magic to be more for stealth and thievery. These are the mercenaries, the assassins, and the undesirables of the Kod Mezu community. Don't let their reputation fool you though, as even the highest member of the Aristocracy sometimes approach them for their special services, like guard duty or "caretaking". They still have a bit of magic in them, but without proper training and knowledge, they are stuck with only using the simplest of spells. Over time, their bone structures have changed, responding to their need of a different lifestyle than the others of their kind. Younger generations have more muscle mass and bone density, allowing them to wield some of the heavier weapons available. Some of them are even hybrids, oftentimes half-Kodan and half-Ehrui.
I am the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma! Deceiving the world is nothing to me!
Alan

Re: Kod Mezu Culture

Postby Hureciel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:21 pm

I love how each house of the Aristocracy has their own strengths and I can easily imagine all of them holding very well against each other in battle. Definitely one of the best points

Question: How is caste determined? (Blood? Cash? Raw Power?) How does one move from one caste to another?

Minor probs tho.

The Circle should be their form of government, and should be an entity outside of caste. In this manner, the Aristocracy should be the highest caste.
If this is the case, it would be nice to see that the representatives of each house should be the quadumvirate of the Circle.

About the Shadows: The description makes it seem like receiving an education in Thealith is extremely hard (Maybe it would do to have a caste that acts as a middle class.) Also, I think the bone structure changing thing is quite exaggerated, considering the Kod-mezu are almost completely magic-reliant in their daily needs. (Which is why having little magic would be a problem) Lastly, it's considered taboo to have interracial babies, meaning there are no Kod-Ehrui (that are permitted within society).

I'll post more when I read again or something =)) Other than that, I really like this idea
Slave driver in the making

Hureciel

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Okay, so the Circle is outside the system, and I was actually planning something like a senate, with one leader heading said senate.

As for determining caste, you are usually born into it, otherwise you could be demoted for committing crimes and such. For the Aristocracy, children born with both parents from the same house will be trained under said house's standard. It's okay to marry someone of a different house, even between the Solaris and Aquiler houses, but the wife will have to move into the house of the man. Children born under two houses must undergo initiation tests for both come the right age, known as the Undertaking, and when the child passes one, he may be permitted to enter. If the child passes both tests, he is free to choose which one he prefers, though it is a usual choice to stay in the father's house. If the child fails both, another chance may be given. If for a second time the child fails, one of the other houses will have to take him or her, otherwise the child will be fated to be in the Shadow caste with a foster family.

You can improve your caste by either gaining more riches and attend the Guild (I'm gonna add a Chinese trader-like Merchant caste), or study hard on your own to be admitted into the College as a part of the Universalists. While it is entirely possible for Shadow caste people to apply for scholarship at the College, the aristocratic children will most probably discriminate them, and they will most likely end up being a teacher anyway. It is more encouraged to study independently (books and printing is available, as well as copies) and apply to be a Scholar instead. It is almost unheard of that one of the Shadow caste would become an Aristocrat, but parents who cannot conceive a child can instead adopt one from the lower caste, his/her parents would become servants of the adopted's parents.

Merchant: The middle class of merchants is considered to be the economic backbone of Thealith. Aside from the illustrious College as a school of learning, there is also the Guild, where Kodans are taught in various ways in making money. Examples would be banking, accounting, printing, and art.

As for the characteristics of the Shadow caste, I'll make it so that there aren't any hybrids then. Basically I'll just make them knife/one-handed sword-wielding Kod Mezu who prefer using magic that lean more on cutthroat dealings or larceny. Not sure how they can be guard detail at this point, but I'm sure I'll think of something soon. :D
Alan

Postby Hureciel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:39 pm

So by houses you actually mean individual families (You mentioned that these people are born into Aristocracy)? If this is the case, then the "Aristocrats" are the upper class of the upper class
Slave driver in the making

Hureciel

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm actually not too sure about the Houses yet. Still thinking on some, but I might change it into something like Hogwarts. =)))
Alan

Postby Chemicalbonbonne » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:46 pm

The water clan is influential, but what does their magic specialize in? :o Healing? Ice?
Chemicalbonbonne

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:42 am

The Aquiler house kasi is influential because they're basically the Slytherin of Kod Mezu culture. Like I said, conjuration nga, but the magic itself can vary depending on your tree.
Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Okay. So I've decided on a few things while thinking about this.

If you are born into a certain House in the Aristocracy, then usually you will be drafted into that House IF you pass their trials. If you don't, it is not unheard of to switch to another House, although the Aquiler House has been known to throw out into the street anyone who does not succeed. If you are one of the Shadow caste, it is plausible to try and test your skill in any of the Houses, Tyrrhane being the most hospitable of the four, and Ventra being the most controversial to be joined. Rank in each House will be determined based on how much time you've spent there plus any achievements you might have garnered during your service. It's almost like a knighthood, or Harry Potter. On the other hand, one of the Shadow caste may also seek to better themselves in schooling and can attend the College. They are in a separate class than those of the Aristocracy, but the level of learning will not be diminished. Once again, if you pass their final tests, then you can either teach at the College or spend your time in research. There is a constant stream of applicants every year in all of the options listed above, although it has been rumored that House Aquiler has recently been experimenting with a sort of homunculi research to create soldiers rather than deal with those impure of standing. Nevertheless, those they do recruit tend to be separated from the rest of the members in the House.

Hope this helps in the holes still there for the caste system. XD
Alan

Return to Races